Achievement and Betrayal at the NYS Capitol in 1913
On Wednesday, November 19, the University Club will welcome former Assemblyman Mark J. F. Schroeder to discuss the New York’s 39th Governor, William Sulzer – the only Governor of the Empire State to be impeached. Schroeder served as a member of the New York State Assembly from 2004 until he was elected Comptroller of the City of Buffalo in November 2011. The event will be held at the National Register-listed University Club of Albany, 141 Washington Avenue at Dove Street.
The luncheon is one of a series of 10 events comprising a Celebration of New York State History Month in November, 2014. Presented by the University Club of Albany Foundation, a 501c3 corporation, the events will be open to the public. The month-long celebration will include luncheons, evening lectures – even a digital photo scavenger hunt – featuring experts in a variety of disciplines discussing the history of New York State and the Albany area.
THIS JUST IN - A well-known Albany collector of political memorabilia will share Sulzer-related materials from his collection including framed posters.
The cost for the luncheon is $25 and reservations are required. The University Club will serve a hot and cold buffet from 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m., with the program commencing at 12:30. Reservations for the November 19 luncheon are required by Monday, November 17 and may be made by calling the Club at 518-463-1151; by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or online at www.uclubevents.blogspot.com .
Copies of the book The Impeachment of Governor Sulzer: A Story of American Politics by the late Matt Lifflander will be available courtesy of SUNY Press.
Guests are encouraged to share the warmth of the season with our neighbors in need by making a contribution to the Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York. The University Club will have a large collection box on display in the lobby, and will accept donations of non-perishable food items and checks made payable to “Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York” throughout the month of November. For every $1 donated, the Regional Food Bank can distribute $10 worth of food.
New York State History Month programs at the U Club are:
- Monday, November 3 - Mayor’s Luncheon - Albany: Our History, Our Future;
- Friday, November 7 - Reception - A Celebration of New York State History Month – Honoring the artist Len Tantillo;
- Monday, November 10 - 6 p.m. - Presentation - Art, Literature, Industry and Conflict on the Hudson with author Vernon Benjamin;
- Thursday, November 13 - Dinner - Sharing a U Club Tradition: The 106th Annual Duck Dinner;
- Friday, November 14 - 6 p.m. - Presentation - Haunted History in the North Country: The Legend of Major Duncan Campbell with Duncan Crary;
- Tuesday, November 18 - 6 p.m. - Panel Discussion - Building Modern Social Justice Movements with Barbara Smith and Dr. Virginia Eubanks, moderated by Elaine Houston of WNYT;
- Wednesday, November 19 - Luncheon - Achievement and Betrayal at the New York State Capitol - 1913 - a discussion of Gov. Sulzer with former Assemblyman Mark J. F. Schroeder;
- Friday, November 21 - 6 p.m. - Reception - History Hunt Wrap-Up Party;
- Monday, November 24 - Luncheon - New York’s Tradition of Innovation with P. Thomas Carroll, Senior Scholar and Treasurer, Hudson Mohawk Industrial Gateway; and
- Tuesday, November 25 - 6 p.m. - Presentation - Hands On History with Ann Pfau and Dave Hochfelder, founders of the “98 Acres in Albany” project, a study of buildings demolished and families uprooted for the construction of the Empire State Plaza.
New York State History Month programming is presented by the University Club of Albany Foundation, a 501c3 corporation. The Foundation was formed in 2009 to recognize and maintain the unique historic and architectural significance of the National Register-listed University Club building, its historic neighborhood and the city of Albany, where it has been located since its inception in 1901.
For more information about the University Club’s celebration of New York State History Month, including program updates, please visit www.universityclubalbany.com .